Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What happened after Chiara's death...

Published by Uyulala On 20 Mar 2008

I was sure that my posts about Chiara's death and the focolare movement would have been followed by many comments and different reactions. In fact, this is exactly what happened when I published my articles on my Italian blog: www.sacroprofano.net.


Therefore, I want to point out a few things that are very important to me.
I am telling you about my own experience, I am not telling you about the whole world (I wouldn't be able to do this). My experience started when I was about about 15-16 years old and painfully finished at the age of 25. I discovered I was not Christian right on the day of my birthday.

Many people wrote me private comments, they had experiences which were different than mine, some told me that the movement has been for them a source of freedom, that the members are wonderful and so on.

My answer to them is provocative:
Who told you anything?

As long as I do not want to deny those positive experiences, I do not accept that other people want to interpret mine.This is one of the reasons why I was led to abandon the movement. Afterwards, I realized that I was not Christian: I often noticed that people who live an ideal (in any case, not necessarily that of the focolare movement) often fail to see reality as it is, without filters.

Ethical relativism

In my posts, I want to propose ethical relativism as the only way to civil coexistence. By ethical relativism I mean the disposition which does never make us consider our point of view, our view of life and the world as the only existing Truth. This consequently leads us to believe that all people are equal.
The fact that I am no longer a "theist" does not mean that I do not believe in god. It means that I am no longer depending on the idea of its existence, because it is very easy to fall into the trap of justifying your own meanness by claiming that you are following a divine law.

To our detriment, institutional religions, especially monotheistic religions, provided us with a mixed corpus of general rules and abstract laws which lead us to asses the good and the bad aspects of reality a priori, and not moment by moment. While this may be acceptable in the legislative field, it becomes more dangerous in ethics and interpersonal relationships.

Not clinging to the idea of a god, not considering your membership of a group, a movement, a religion as the consequence of having discovered "The way", means to admit humbly that your choices are subjective, debatable and equivalent to other people's ideas. This puts you in the position of not filtering reality through patterns and ideas, but to see it clearly.

This results in a challenging job: you should clean constantly our ego (which in humans is immense, monumental), not leave our guard, not let slogans, clichés, thoughts of other human beings, even if you find them very influential, in order to have a clear vision of reality. Bibles, Gospels, Q'rans, Sutras, Vedanta, Tao-te-ching are no substitute for the strong relationship that we should all have with reality. This is ethical relativism.

Now I want to make a short list of points that I have achieved over the years thanks to the experience in the movement and especially to the critical review I developed after I left:

We are not more important than others.

No God calls us to do anything because none of us deserves to be called.

There is no right and wrong way to experience important events in life, such as: pain, sex, love and affection. All the ways are equal, as long as they are non-violent.

There are no sins, but only different levels of awareness.

The sin-guilt-repair-relapse game is a vicious circle. It 's the very concept of sin which makes sin exist.

Nothing and no one can forgive. Forgiveness does not make sense. Individual responsibility and our ability to take our responsibilities makes sense.

Our very duty is to become more self-confident: this way we will avoid to make fun of ourselves and (more or less subtly) to do harm to others.

There is no way to overcome the existential loneliness of man. It should be faced with courage and determination.

We must live as if this was the only chance of existence, regardless of whether or not you believe in a god, in a life after life, reincarnation, in a biological mechanism, in aliens, in the Great Spirit or in the supreme power of spaghetti. This is the only way to live a morally impeccable life, because if you think that life is one, you will not waste your life: there is no way to fix your mistakes.

All human beings are equal to you. The fact that you are in a higher position that others is a matter of pure luck. So try not to boast yourself: life sometimes is evil, and you may regret having done it.

Corollary to the previous one: if your are undergoing a difficult situation, do not wonder "Why just me?" Instead, do ask yourself "Why not me?" in case you your life is going smooth. Feel yourself good: your wellness is just a gift.

By the way: this is what I tell myself every day. Think about this yourselves...

Uyulala

Translated by Laryssa from the original article at: I post sul movimento dei focolari. Alcune considerazioni scaturite dai commenti
written by Uyulala

No comments:

Post a Comment